After a major Vaughan condo development was cancelled by its builders, leaving hundreds of pre-construction buyers without a future home, customers are wondering whether the developer’s reason for scrapping the project is legitimate.
The three condo towers, branded “Cosmos” by developers Liberty Development, were slated to go up near the TTC’s new Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station, near Highway 7 and Jane Street.
This week, hundreds of buyers who committed to the condos back in 2016 received the same letters in the mail, saying the project had been nixed because the vendor had not secured satisfactory financing.
CityNews spoke with two young buyers who both put their life savings into the development, and have now been pushed back into a real estate market they fear they can’t afford anymore.
“I recently got engaged last year in June to my fiancé. This was for us. This was something we were going to build our future with, build our family with,” says condo buyer Massimo.
He’s not alone in his disappointment. Karan Kundra put a $60,000 deposit down on a one-bedroom plus den on the ninth floor, with a parking spot. His purchase price was $330,000.
“I now see those same units are around $400,000 plus and now we’ve been priced out of the market to buy a comparable unit at a comparable price,” says Kundra.
In a letter to buyers, Liberty Development says that it recently learned “of circumstances beyond its control,” that the company says poses a problem for Cosmos Condos.
“We are advised by the project vendor that at this time, financing for this project at terms satisfactory to the vendor cannot be arranged,” the letter reads.
Bob Aaron, a real estate lawyer explains to CityNews that this legal jargon insinuates, “Satisfactory to the vender means they can get more money by putting the place back on the market at higher prices.”
Since Cosmos Condominiums was sold, the Vaughan Metropolitan Station has opened to whisk riders downtown, and it’s becoming a burgeoning transit, living and working hub in its own right.
A spokesperson for the developer told CityNews in a statement, “the cancellation of all purchaser agreements was made solely due to the inability to secure satisfactory construction financing.” It goes on to say in part that “despite the project’s sales success, the decision was made by the vendors.”
As for the pre-construction buyers, everyone has been told they will get their deposits back but that’s about it.
Unfortunately for buyers, Aaron says pre-build condos can be cancelled for a long list of reasons that are all legally acceptable.
So, who is the vendor the developer says is behind the decision to shut the project down? The Liberty spokesperson gave us a numbered company.
CityNews has found Ontario court documents that show the numbered company has the same address as Liberty Developments. A confidential source also told CityNews that the name behind the numbered company is Fred Darvish, who is also the president of Liberty Development
Liberty has multiple developments underway in the GTA that have not run into financial issues.
As for the young buyers, they’re not sure what they’ll do next, but they do feel that the market isn’t working in their favour.
An ambulance was dispatched for the second time in the month of March to the Lovejoy Surgicenter abortion facility in Portland, Oregon.
The Multnomah County EMS Paramedic Unit arrived at Lovejoy Surgicenter at approximately 1:00 p.m. on Good Friday, March 30, 2018, as pro-life activists prayed nearby.
Photos from the scene were provided to Operation Rescue by Therese Ruesink of 40 Days for Life. The photos show abortion facility workers in blue scrubs attempting to block the view of pro-life supporters as a blonde-haired woman was brought out the back door and loaded into the awaiting ambulance.
Ruesink told Operation Rescue that other ambulances have visited the Lovejoy abortion facility on March 2, 2018, and on November 16, 2017.
“We know that there has been a recent change about four months ago in the abortion staff,” Ruesink explained. “Maybe their “new” abortionists are not as experienced. Why are there so many ambulances there lately?”
Ruesink intends to look into filing complaints against Lovejoy Surgicenter and seek and investigation into the recent medical emergencies.
“There could be something very wrong at the Lovejoy abortion facility, and we applaud efforts to call for a full investigation,” said Operation Rescue President Troy Newman. “This clinic also has a documented history of sexual abuse of patients, so a thorough investigation into all aspects of patient care is needed to make sure this facility has not reoffended.”
In 2012, a former clinic worker filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Lovejoy after she witnessed another female employee molesting sedated abortion patients. The female employee also was known to expose her own breasts to other clinic workers and asked them to fondle her. The offender was eventually fired from Lovejoy.
Follow LifeNews.com on Instagram for pro-life pictures and the latest pro-life news.
Lovejoy Surgicenter conducts abortions through 24 weeks of pregnancy. Those done between 20-24 weeks (5-6 months gestation) abortions are three-day procedures, according to the abortion facility’s website. These abortions carry more risks, and life-threatening complications can occur that the outpatient facility is not equipped to handle.
However, there is no information about how far along the women were who were transported to local emergency rooms.
It’s a rainy April morning in Montreal, but Sarah Bogard has made the most of it.
It may look like a writer’s paradise, but that idyllic scene is interrupted at the stroke of 11 o’clock.
That’s when Bogard’s corner of the café turns into a no-laptop zone, and she scrambles to another table, juggling her coat, computer and cup of joe.
“You have to start looking 15 minutes early, and I got my spot stolen there by another girl that saw it. She decided to move five minutes before me, and I was like — dammit!” said Bogard, laughing.
Less screen time, more chatting
From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day, Café Pista declares nearly half of its seating area a laptop-free zone, although computers are still welcome in the rest of the establishment.
Pista one of many Montreal café s and restaurants trying to curb patrons’ screen time in a bid to encourage conversation, as well as table turnover.
For Pista’s owner, Maxime Richard, it’s also about creating a welcoming atmosphere.
TORONTO — A former CTV News reporter facing sexual misconduct allegations is suing the broadcaster, its parent company and the woman who levelled accusations against him.
Paul Bliss, whose departure from CTV was announced last month after he was suspended in January, alleges Bridget Brown defamed him, and CTV then published and broadcast defamatory statements in its coverage of the woman’s allegations and Bliss’ suspension.
Bliss is seeking $7.5 million in damages in the suit, which also targets CTV journalists who covered his story.
Brown, who describes herself as a Calgary-based entrepreneur and former CTV employee, had alleged that a sexual incident took place in 2006 when she was in Bliss’ office.
Bliss denies Brown’s allegations in his statement of claim and says the pair engaged in a consensual encounter. He says in the claim that he suffered injury to his integrity and character, and damage to his professional reputation as a result of the allegations.
Brown says she finds “virtually everything” in Bliss’ statement of claim to be false. CTV did not comment on the lawsuit.
None of the allegations have been proven in court.
A Christian school has sparked outrage by asking its female students to wear head scarves when visiting a Muslim mosque.
St Paul’s Anglican Grammar School at Warragul, in eastern Victoria, sent a letter out to parents explaining in bold font that girls in Year 9 would have to wear special clothing during a visit to the Emir Sultan Mosque, at Dandenong in Melbourne.
‘Girls and boys are asked to bring their school track pants and girls additionally require a head scarf so that they comply with respectful practices,’ it said.
‘I have no doubt this will be a valuable learning experience for your child.’
However the Interfaith Network of the City of Greater Dandenong, which co-ordinates school visits to religious places of worship, said it wasn’t compulsory for girls to cover their heads.
‘It’s not a requirement, it’s put as a respectful practice,’ the group’s development officer Helen Heath told Daily Mail Australia.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5580735/Christian-school-tells-girls-wear-head-scarf-visit-Muslim-mosque-Melbourne.html#ixzz5BvImxYK8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook