Rabbi says vandal smashed glass doors of Thornhill synagogue with rocks

The front glass doors of a synagogue in Thornhill were smashed in broad daylight on Wednesday, the synagogue’s rabbi tells CP24.

Rabbi Mendel Kaplan of Chabad at Flamingo on Bathurst Street, south of Flamingo Road said he witnessed a suspect smashing the glass doors in the entryway of the Synagogue with chunks of rocks at about 9:45 a.m. Wednesday morning.

“The person went out of his way to climb over the debris to be able to approach our synagogue, and if you look at the video there’s clear pre-meditation, he thinks and re-thinks,” Rabbi Kaplan told CP24. “When you see the way he throws that stone, the malice and the hatred is really obvious.”

Kaplan said he contacted York Regional Police to inform them about the incident and they arrived at the scene later on Wednesday to begin an investigation.

He said police investigators have so far done a “marvelous” job looking into the incident.

“This is the ugliest and most grotesque form of hatred and racism being directed against a visible minority group. Any decent Canadian should be outraged,” Kaplan said, adding he hoped the surveillance footage he published on his Facebook page and circulated to media outlets would help catch the suspect.

B’nai Brith Canada said it had reached out to Chabad at Flamingo and was assisting them in any way possible.

“It is both despicable and lamentable that someone would feel the need to resort to such vile behaviour,” said Michael Mostyn, Chief Executive Officer of B’nai Brith Canada. “We trust that police will investigate this matter seriously.”

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police at 1-866-876-5423.

Later on Wednesday afternoon, local MPP Gila Martow condemned the vandalism, calling it “a deliberate act of hate against the Jewish community.”

“With Passover coming up, it is imperative that all community members are safe in their places of worship,” Martow said in an emailed statement.

Premier Kathleen Wynne tweeted that the “anti-Semitic vandalism that occurred at Chabad at Flamingo in Thornhill is reprehensible.”

“I stand strongly beside the congregants of this shul & Ontario’s Jewish community.”

 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/rabbi-says-vandal-smashed-glass-doors-of-thornhill-synagogue-with-rocks-1.3852739

Ontario teen charged for allegedly making online threat against U.S. high school

A 14-year-old girl from Ontario has been charged for allegedly making online threatsagainst a high school in the United States.

Const. Natalie Lang with the Brantford, Ont., police says the girl was arrested Tuesday night and charged with uttering threats to cause bodily harm or death.

She says the threat was made in an Instagram post that threatened a school in Hanover, N.H., and mentioned a shooting.

READ MORE: 5 youths charged after threats made against schools in Simcoe County: police

Lang says the girl, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, will be prosecuted in Canada.

The girl appeared in court Wednesday for a bail hearing.

Police say officers executed a search warrant at a home in Brantford and seized electronic devices.

“Yes, she has been charged … but co-operation between our detectives in the major crime unit and the Hanover Police Department is still ongoing,” Lang said in an interview Wednesday.

 

Ontario teen charged for allegedly making online threat against U.S. high school

Service Canada’s gender neutral directive is ‘confusing’ and ‘will be corrected’ says minister

they back down after pubic outcry

 

A federal cabinet minister says a directive to Service Canada agents telling them to use gender-neutral language — such as ‘parent’ instead of ‘mother’ or ‘father’ — when speaking to the public was badly worded and will be corrected.

The directive, obtained by Radio Canada, the French-language arm of CBC, instructs Service Canada employees who interact with the public to stay away from terms such as Mr., Mrs., father and mother, and to “use gender-neutral language or gender-inclusive language.”

“This avoids portraying a perceived bias toward a particular sex or gender,” says a copy of speaking notes prepared for managers and team leaders. “It is important that Service Canada, as an organization, reflects Canada’s diverse population and ensures that the views and interests of Canadians are taken into account when we develop policies, programs, services and initiatives.”

The move was quickly mocked by the the Conservative opposition, who suggested Father’s Day and Mother’s Day would be renamed to be gender-neutral.

But in an interview with CBC News Network’s Power & Politics, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development Jean-Yves Duclos said that the directive is more about asking Canadians how they want to be addressed — and then following that advice.

“The directive that was sent this morning was confusing it will be corrected … so that it’s clear Service Canada agents have the respectful responsibility to do exactly what they are paid to do,” Duclos told guest host David Cochrane.

 

Duclos went on to say that agents will continue to use honorifics such as Mr. and Ms., providing the people they’re speaking to agree to be identified with those terms.

“Now, when there is uncertainty as to how Canadians want to be respectfully greeted by Service Canada agents, Service Canada agents will politely and respectfully ask Canadians how they want to be greeted.”

 

The uncorrected guidelines rule out using terms such as mother and father because they are “gender specific” and say the neutral word “parent” should be used instead.

The same goes for honorifics such as Mr., Mrs., and Ms., and in both languages. Instead, the guidelines instruct employees to address customers by their full names, or to ask them what they want to be called.

Service Canada helps Canadians connect with a variety of government programs, including Employment Insurance, the Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/service-canada-gender-neutral-1.4585629

 

 

WMAF crime: 2 white guys rape Vietnamese mom and burn her alive

TWO men accused of raping and murdering a young mum treated themselves to a curry as her body lay on the floor, a court heard.

William John McFall and Stephen Unwin are alleged to have kept Quyen Ngoc Nguyen captive at a house for four hours before dumping her body in a car and setting it ablaze.

The mum-of-one, from Killingworth in Newcastle, may have been still alive when the blaze was started in Sunderland and could only be identified through dental records.

The Newcastle Chronicle reports how McFall admitted the pair had eaten curry as he gave evidence for the third day at Newcastle Crown Court.

The convicted killer, who met Unwin while they were both serving life sentences for murder, admitted they had tucked in as the 28-year-old nail salon worker lay on the floor.

Prosecutor Jamie Hill QC asked him: “Did you and Stephen Unwin cook and eat a curry about this time?”

 

McFall said: “At some point.”

Mr Hill said: “With someone, you told us, dead lying on the floor, you attended to your own needs to have a meal?”

McFall replied: “Have you read my defence statement. I didn’t eat all the curry.”

He added that he’d had a “few spoonfuls” of the curry before putting the “rest in the bin”.

 

The prosecutor accused the pair of blaming the horrendous crime on each other “in the hope that nobody will be able to work out what happened”.

Both Unwin, 40, from Houghton, and McFall, 51, of Blackpool, deny rape and murder.

During the trial, jurors at Newcastle Crown Court were shown a “selfie” photograph taken by McFall in Unwin’s car after the killing last August.

Prosecutors say the image, which appears to show McFall smiling in the foreground while Unwin is driving in the background, was taken after the men dumped Miss Nguyen’s body and went back to Unwin’s house on foot, where they collected his vehicle.

But McFall told jurors he was not smiling in the photograph as he has “false teeth” that would fall out if he took a selfie.

Both men have told the jury they have received threats from their co-accused after they were arrested.

Jurors have heard Unwin was given a life sentence in 1999 for murder after he broke into a 73-year-old man’s home in Houghton Le Spring on Christmas Day in 1998 and attacked then stabbed him in the chest before starting three fires.

He was released in 2012.

The court heard McFall was jailed for life at Belfast Crown Court in April 1997 after he had broken into the home of 86-year-old Martha Gilmore, who had mobility problems, at Station Road, Greencastle and repeatedly hit her with a hammer in May 1996.

McFall was released on licence in 2010.

The trial continues.

 

Men ‘raped and murdered young mum then treated themselves to a curry as her body lay on the floor’

 

Outrage as feminist paedophile Germaine Greer suggests #MeToo victims are ‘career rapees’ for taking six-figure non-disclosure deals from Harvey Weinstein Read

Feminist Germaine Greer was today slammed after she called the alleged sexual assault victims of Harvey Weinstein ‘career rapees’.

The 79-year-old was speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme this morning and was discussing the #MeToo movement.

The campaign was launched when a host of A-list celebrities accused the Hollywood executive of rape, sexual assault and harassment.

But she said that the movement has ‘not got anywhere at all’ and added that we need to urgently ‘sort out our concept of what rape is’ and amend the law.

The outspoken feminist author, from Melbourne, Australia, went on to call alleged victims of Weinstein ‘career rapees’ who have had ‘extraordinary exposure’.

She said: ‘Some of whom have been paid six figure sums in the form of non-disclosure agreements.

‘That’s a dishonorable thing to accept and it’s not something you should boast about.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5523475/Feminist-Germaine-Greer-suggests-victims-career-rapees.html#ixzz5AQR8dFCM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook