A banker has told how he spent more than a year on bail after a woman he met online made a false rape claim against him.
Paul Faulkner, from Hertfordshire, is the latest man to complain about the way sex cases are handled by the police following a string of collapsed prosecutions.
He says he was wrongly accused of a number of offences by a woman he met on Match.com, prompting his house to be raided by four police officers.
He told The Sun Online that he then spent 70 weeks on bail, losing his job and considering suicide, before he was finally told he faced no further action in December last year.
He told the website: ‘I had given the police all the evidence, I was not guilty and yet I was treated like a violent criminal who had already been convicted. No one was listening.’
The 46-year-old, who once earned £100,000-a-year, said he was sent a series of texts by the woman, demanding money and vowing: ‘I will get my revenge.’
He says the issue of long delays in investigations is serious not just for wrongly accused men like himself, but also for potential victims who may have to wait months to get justice.
Hertfordshire Police said a complaint had been made about the case and was being investigated.
Mr Faulkner spoke out as Scotland Yard continued its review of 600 cases of rape and sexual assault which are awaiting trial, with thousands more under review nationally, amid claims evidence is not being properly dealt with.
Last week, the Metropolitan Police and prosecutors were forced to apologise for a litany of blunders which led to student Liam Allan being wrongly accused of rape.
Mr Allan, a criminology student at Greenwich University in London, spent two years on bail accused of rape and sexual assault – under messages from the woman emerged at the start of his trial.
Mr Allan’s case collapsed last December, sparking a national debate about the failures by the authorities to disclose relevant information to those accused in sex cases.
The messages sent by the woman in that case included one to a friend saying: ‘It wasn’t against my will or anything.’
Others read: ‘Sometimes sex is the number 1 priority, I’m really not joking to be honest,’ and, ‘You know it’s always nice to be sexually assaulted without breaking the law.’
MISSOULA, Mont. — The publisher of a neo-Nazi website has until next week to notify a federal magistrate of his whereabouts as part of a lawsuit accusing him of orchestrating an anti-Semitic trolling campaign against a Montana family, a federal judge has ruled.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremiah Lynch issued an order Wednesday giving Andrew Anglin until Feb. 16 to tell the court where he is living.
Montana real estate agent Tanya Gersh sued Anglin in April, saying she was threatened and harassed after he published her personal information on his website, The Daily Stormer.
Anglin’s attorneys have filed a motion to dismiss the case, saying the court does not have jurisdiction over Anglin who is “not a citizen of any state.” As part of that motion, he offered to tell the court where he was.
Gersh’s lawyers counter that Anglin is playing a “childish game of hide-and-seek” to avoid the legal consequences of his actions.
Anglin’s court filings say he left his home state of Ohio in 2013 and has lived in Greece and Cambodia, but he temporarily left Cambodia and could not “for reasons of personal safety” publicly disclose his whereabouts. He said he has received credible death threats because of the website he publishes.
Gersh’s lawsuit said her family received a barrage of emails, phone calls and other messages after Anglin published their personal information that included her 12-year-old son’s Twitter handle and photo.
Gersh says she was targeted after the mother of Richard Spencer — a leading figure in the white nationalist movement — accused Gersh of harassing her into selling property in Whitefish.
Gersh’s lawsuit said she agreed to help the woman sell commercial property amid talk of a protest outside the building.
A former special education teacher in Montana was accused of repeatedly raping an underage student, officials said.
Rene Elena Carter appeared in court Thursday on felony charges of sexual intercourse without consent, news station KXLH reported. Police said the victim was unable to give consent since he is a minor.
Carter was employed as a teacher at Capital High School in Helena when she allegedly became sexually involved with a male student in February 2015.
Authorities said she had several sexual encounters with the boy until June 7, 2015. Carter resigned from the school district the next month.
Helena Public Schools officials said they were aware of allegations that the pair was sexually involved, but did not find any basis for the rumors.
“The district didn’t just turn its back and ignore its comments,” Superintendent Jack Copps told the Helena Independent Record. “The district did, in fact, try to understand if there was some basis to the rumors out there.”
Carter was booked Thursday into Lewis and Clark County Detention Center and released on her own recognizance.
If convicted of the charges, Carter faces life in prison.