click to watch
Florida State University banned all Greek life Monday after a student died on Friday following a house party.
Pi Kappa Phi fraternity pledge Andrew Coffey was found unresponsive around 10:25 a.m. EST Friday morning, and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter, according to the USA Today. The 20-year-old had attended a Thursday night house party roughly a mile from campus and died, most likely after drinking copious amounts of alcohol.
“I want to send a serious message, I really do,” said Florida State University President John Thrasher in his announcement of the Greek life ban. “We’ve got a serious problem,” he added. “All of our student organizations – Greek organizations and the other recognized student organizations on campus – must step up. They will have to participate in the solution.”
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the student’s family and friends,” Pi Kappa Phi Chief Executive Officer Mark E. Timmes said according to USA Today. “We appreciate the partnership and support from the Division of Student Affairs during this difficult time.”
“Although there are indicators alcohol may have been a factor in this case, we are waiting for the results of the autopsy so no cause of death been determined,” Tallahassee Police Department Chief Michael DeLeo said according to the Tallahassee Democrat. “TPD will continue to work with the state attorney office so as new information becomes available to determine what charges, if any, are appropriate,” he added.
Twenty two percent of FSU undergraduates belong to a Greek organization, a major element of the school’s social activity.
Coffey’s death on Friday fell on the first day of Parent’s Weekend at the school.
Akima LLC, a government contractor, fired one of its employees who flipped off President Donald Trump’s motorcade last week as he was leaving the Trump National Golf Club.
A White House photographer traveling with the president as he left his golf course on October 29, snapped the photo of Juli Briskman flipping off the president, to the amusement of the president’s critics. Her company, however, was not amused.
Briskman, 50, told the Huffington Post that she was surprised that someone took a picture of her disrespecting the president. Akima’s HR department found out about the incident and terminated her the next day after she decided to make the picture her profile photo on Facebook and Twitter.
“They said, ‘We’re separating from you,’” Briskman told the Huffington Post. “Basically, you cannot have ‘lewd’ or ‘obscene’ things in your social media. So they were calling flipping him off ‘obscene.’”
Akima, located in Virginia, is an employment-at-will state, which means that an employer can terminate an employee at any time and for any reason.
Briskman was especially angry at the fact that another employee who slammed a leftist on Facebook by calling the person “a f**king Libtard asshole” was allowed to keep his job.
“How is that any less ‘obscene’ than me flipping off the president?” she asked. “How is that fair?”
Briskman, a hardcore Democrat, is supposedly trying to find work with a non-profit group that she supports, “like Planned Parenthood or PETA.”
This is most likely the first and only time you’re going to hear about this. But imagine the international coverage, and storms of indignation, and howls for government action, if a group calling itself Christian Defense International had stormed a Muslim neighborhood, murdered dozens of civilians, and caused 1,000 people to flee. That would be news. But this? The international establishment media won’t even pause long enough to yawn. In their narrative, Muslims are always victims. When Muslims commit acts of jihad mass murder, Muslims fear “backlash” and are still the victims. Stories like this one just don’t fit the narrative, and so are not reported.
“Dozens killed as Islamist violence erupts again in eastern DRC,” World Watch Monitor, November 3, 2017:
After a period of relative calm, violence has resumed in eastern DRC. Various attacks by armed groups, including the radical Islamic group Muslim Defense International (MDI), formerly known as the Allied Democratic Forces, have claimed dozens lives among civilians in September and October.
In one recent attack on 26 October, suspected MDI militants stormed the Masiani neighbourhood of Beni. Local sources say the militants were hiding in the neighbourhood, waiting for nightfall to attack the local population, but that a soldier discovered them and immediately alerted security forces. The rebels then immediately burst into action and attacked the city. Clashes with the military led to at least six deaths (one soldier, five civilians).
A foreign missionary in the area described a chaotic situation, which caused fear among residents: “When we arrived we could not get into our neighbourhood. It was a real battlefield. Bombs, gunfire and people running. Large calibre shells are everywhere. A thousand or so people fled the area towards Beni,” he said.
In the early hours of Friday 27 October, unidentified gunmen also attacked the Nyankunde Evangelical hospital in Beni, situated on the Beni-Butembo road. Local sources say the attackers woke up the director of the hospital at about 1am, and forced him to lie down on the floor. They told him to give them all the money he kept with him.
Other medical personnel were also ordered to lie on the floor. The assailants looted money, some medicine and about 40 mobile phones belonging to the patients, carers and nurses.
They also beat up some of the nurses and patients at the hospital and left just before security forces arrived.
Earlier in October dozens were killed, including two UN peacekeepers, following raids attributed to MDI militants and clashes with the army backed up by UN troops. Some 11 civilians were killed when a convoy was ambushed between Kamango and Beni on the evening of Saturday 7 October. Most of the victims had their throats slit with machetes. More than 20 others were kidnapped, and their decomposed bodies were found a week later and buried on 15 October.
Violence in the volatile province of North Kivu claimed more than 1,000 lives between October 2014 and May 2016, according to local NGOs.
The Congolese government has always attributed responsibility for such attacks to MDI militants. But a recent report by the Congo Research Group, an independent group linked with New York University, cast doubt on that assessment.
The report – the result of over two years of research and 245 interviews, including many with perpetrators – claims to uncover “a more complex” and “more disturbing” reality.
The report, ‘Mass Killings in Beni Territory: Political Violence, Cover Ups, and Cooptation’, attributes some of the blame to the Congolese army, specifically naming one commanding officer, General Muhindo Akili Mundos….
Some have accused the government of masterminding the violence in the east of the country and the central province of Kassai, with the aim of creating a climate of instability which will serve as a pretext for President Kabila to stay in power.